Monday, August 30, 2010

"Waiting for Payday" Dinner

Often on Sunday nights (when we are not hosting Sunday Suppers) we have Leftover Buffet! I dig out everything I can find in the fridge and we either eat it or toss it!

Well, it is the end of the month and the leftovers are minimal. The cupboards are somewhat bare. Time for creativity in the kitchen.

So I introduce the "Waiting for Payday" Dinner.

This month's menu: 
Possibilities Pot Pie - Oh the possibilities. I dug through the freezer, fridge and cupboards and found frozen pre-cooked chicken, frozen corn, fresh carrots, condensed chicken soup, and Bisquick.
So, you guessed it, I threw together chicken, veggies & soup. Tossed it into the nearest Demarle mold.
I mixed together 1 cup Bisquick with about 1/2 cup milk, seasonings and some left over shredded cheese. Poured it on top of the chicken mixture and baked for about 30 minutes.

Simple Salad- Armed with iceberg lettuce (boring) and no other veggies, I threw some dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and the leftover Feta cheese on top. Voila! The family loved it! (A few complaints about the sunflower seeds, but overall, a positive response!)

Champagne Salad in the Waffle Tray - Since I portion so many things out into Demarle trays and freeze the portions, I was not surprised to find three lonely fruit salads left in the freezer. Daddy and I let the kids have them! They were so grateful we did not make them share with us!

So- there you go, our simple supper on a budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment