Monday, August 30, 2010

Microwave Coffeecake

I kept my promise... I dug out my recipe for Microwave Coffeecake.
And.... I have a special treat.... I found a picture of me giving a demonstration at the County Fair! Cake in the microwave and all! It is a beauty!!

So, I went to the back of my cookbook shelf and dusted off this:
"Basic Microwaving"

You know, it is really a pretty good book. It covers topics such as: How Microwaves Cause Heat by Friction; How Microwaves Affect Water, Fat, & Sugar Molecules. It gives tips for converting conventional recipes to microwave recipes. Consider me.. enlightened. 

So- I thumbed through until I found the coffeecake recipe. I quickly whipped up the batter. I put some of the streusel topping on the bottom of the Bundt Mold (because that becomes the top of the cake.) I poured in about half the batter and added more topping. Followed by the last of the batter and topping. 

I was fascinated while I watched it cook (6 minutes on 50% power, 3 minutes on high power.) When I poured the batter in the pan, it looked so small. But, let me tell you, cakes really rise HIGH in the microwave. (Something else the book told me. It's true!) It just kept rising and rising! Amazing!

And, it smelled just as I remembered it! Yummmm. Funny how a smell can bring back memories.

Well, It turns out, I put a little too much topping on the top. A few places did not soak in and flaked right off.  But overall, it did make it nice and brown. (As you know, cakes do not brown in the microwave.) 

My kids were waiting eagerly to taste it before brushing their teeth for bed!
It tasted good, but was a little too dry for me.
With that said, I plan to perfect the recipe before posting it. (Of course, you could always hunt down your own copy of "Basic Microwaving" and make it yourself! I have not tried 'Googling' it yet!)

So, before I sign off..... here is a lovely image...


I am not sure what year this is.. maybe 1986??? 

Um, I just don't have anything else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment