Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Extreme Makover- Baby Steps Edition

Sometimes I want to do an Extreme Makeover on my cooking. You know, throw out everything with food coloring and high fructose corn syrup and buy every "organic" product I can find.

Well, sometimes my pocketbook does not support such an extreme move. Other times, my family's palette does not support it.

I have found that Baby Steps work best for me.


Today's Baby Step:
Take an everyday recipe and make subtle changes to make it healthier. 

Since I neglected my garden and ended up with two HUGE zucchinis, I was itching to use them! I chose to make a standard Zucchini Muffin recipe and just switch it up a little. I used part whole wheat flour and part agave nectar for sweetener.


Mini Zucchini Muffins
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. oil (could use applesauce- I didn't have any today!)
1 c. sugar
3/4 c agave nectar
2 c. shredded zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt (or less)
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 F.
Place Mini Muffin tray on Perforated Baking Sheet
Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
Scoop into muffin tray
Bake for 20 minutes.

Oh yeah- I made a concoction of flour, cinnamon, a tad of brown sugar and a tad butter. I sprinkled on top of each muffin before baking. (You could add nuts to that too!! yum!)

 Sorry no pictures... my family and the teachers at school ate them all before I snapped any pics!
 (That's a good sign!)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment